This isn't going to be a long race report because I don't want to dwell on it, but I had a crappy run today. I wasn't pelted with hail like Chris, but it was a crappy run nonetheless. Here's why:
- Arches in both feet start bothering me at .26 mile point. I'm not even out of my subdivision yet and both feet hurt? What the hell?
- Windy day in the Windy City. So much so that my hair keeps blowing out of my ponytail and it's bugging me.
- My pace and breathing is all over the place. I have no focus whatsoever. I hate the first mile so much that I wonder how on earth am I going to do 26.2? Hell, how am I going to do 6 miles tomorrow?
- My knee hurts. My mom had knee replacement surgery on Wednesday so I'm thinking this is mental.
- I realize that even though I had complete control of the course route for this Virtual 5k, I picked a street with absolutely no shade.
- Halfway point. Finally. Head back and the wind that was swirling my hair like a wild banshee is facing me and slowing me way down.
- My ankles are tired. Really tired.
- I stop a couple of times. A few times. I shake my foot out a bit a couple of times in front of drivers stuck in traffic (why did I pick a busy street with an audience?) as if to say, hey, I'm injured, I don't always run this crappy.
- Struggle with pace and focus all the way back. Keep playing Veruca Salt's "Volcano Girls" to try to focus and keep me going.
3.1 miles, 36.49 minutes
Final Count Down....Race Week
2 days ago